Sunday, October 24, 2010

Turners Syndrome

So I have been thinking about my diagnosis of Turners recently. When I was first diagnosed, it didn't really have an affect on me. I have never really felt like I was behind my friends or anything, so when the dr called to give my mom the diagnosis and she told me what they said, I asked, "am I gonna die?" (yes, I really did ask that). She just laughed said no, explained that I would later on have problems having kids and it was pretty much left at that. Well I had to see a geneticist after that to get on growth hormones. After about two + years of seeing this guy, we finally decided it would be best to just see my regular dr since there wasn't much more he could do for me and I was gonna be heading off to college. On my last visit (I was probably about 18 and a senior in high school) was when it really hit me that I would never have my own kids. My genetist asked what I would say to a man when I found someone to marry. I told him that I would explain I would probably not be able to get pregnant. Well, he interrupted me and said "no, you need to tell them you will never get pregnant". A little harsh for an 18 year old who wasn't even thinking about marriage or kids just yet. I burst into tears right there in his office and didn't stop crying for about a day. (I was slightly overdramatic I know). My poor family didn't have any idea of what to do to make me feel better. They took me to Chilis to eat dinner before we left Oklahoma City and when we got back to Woodward that night, made me go to a movie with them. Yet I still cried through the whole thing. The next day my mom basically told me that I couldn't sit and feel sorry for myself that I could always have children through the miracle of adoption, etc. So after that I felt a little better. I think I was just so afraid of finding someone who would care that I couldn't have children of my own. Or that I would be resented later on. Well, a few weeks later Norm told me he was adopted and that was when I knew I would be ok! I am so grateful though that I don't have many of the problems associated with Turners. I have a very mild form of it. If you wanna learn more you can go to www.turnsyndrome.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment